When a couple decide that they no longer wish to be in a marriage or are in the process of getting a divorce, it is extremely important to pick the right person to represent you. Here is a list of the key qualities to look for:
- No doubt this will be one of the most stressful and emotionally difficult times in your life, which often takes months if not years to resolve. When you are deciding on a divorce solicitor it is really important that you feel comfortable with and have confidence in your legal representative, after all this is the person you will be dealing with for some time to come.
- During divorce proceedings you will encounter many complicated matters to include financial matters, and to include your properties and pension shares and savings. Perhaps you own a business together, your spouse may have a higher income than you and you may wish to seek assistance by way of maintenance. You may not know anything about your spouses assets and need guidance as to where to start the process. You may require advice in relation to the children and in relation to who sees the children and when and indeed with whom the children reside.
A good divorce solicitor will be able to fully guide and assist you and help you navigate throughout this challenging situation in which you find yourself, providing you with assistance in relation to your legal rights and your entitlements.
- In our experience our clients present us with their ideal scenarios or wish list and basically their expectations. Sometimes these situations require to be managed carefully. Your solicitor should be able to provide you with empathy and sympathy. Your solicitor should act as the voice of reason in discussing with you initially as to how realistic these goals can be and how achievable they are. As experienced solicitor will greatly assist you in navigating the pitfalls and providing you with good legal advice, which ultimately will avoid protracted court proceedings and the legal costs which follow.
- Being able to communicate with your solicitor from the outset is vitally important – someone who can communicate with you effectively and can explain the legal jargon and the various stages and processes involved during the proceedings, which will assist you greatly in making your own decisions. Obviously a good communicator is one facet which requires to be considered.
Another skill required of your solicitor is the ability to negotiate, as the solicitors role is to act in your best interests and negotiate a good settlement in your favour. Children have to be considered in this situation, whether they are minors or grown up, it is always best to try and resolve matters of divorce as quickly and efficiently as possible, thereby reducing as much stress as possible. Therefore a solicitor with the ability to communicate, negotiate and mediate in your best interests is extremely important.
- Costs – obviously costs are huge issue firmly at the forefront of your mind when you are undertaking your research in respect of your family solicitor. As with every other profession there are costs involved in relation to providing legal advice and in relation to pursuing court proceedings. It is therefore extremely important that you instruct a solicitor who is very clear in relation to the issue of costs and guide you through the processes, advising you at all times in relation to whether the proceedings are costly or cost effective.
Finally choosing your solicitor carefully will pay off in the long run and can make all the difference in assisting you in navigating your way through difficult procedures and difficult processes in order to achieve what is regarded as the best outcome for yourself and your family.